Saturday, November 16, 2013

Grain free granola - also dairy, coconut, egg and sugar free


Grain Free Granola - also dairy, egg, coconut and sugar free

Recently i discovered that i am intolerant to eggs. I'm going to miss them terribly as they were such a consistent part of my daily diet, but it wont be forever. Anyways....so i am now forced to come up with new egg free breakfast ideas and recipes to ensure i still get enough protein to start my day.

I made chia pudding to go with the granola you see above. I did this by allowing some chia seed to soak in some macadamia milk until it was at pudding consistancy, i didnt measure, just added and allowed to soak, stirring periodically over 5 minutes.

I made my macadamia milk by soaking about 100g of macadamia (unsalted) in water overnight and then blitzing in my Thermomix on speed 10 for about 30 seconds.  I didnt need to strain it. You can use a food processor in place of the Thermomix if necessary.

Granola

220g almonds
90g walnuts
140g macadamia's
50g sunflower seeds

1. I put all these in the TM and blitzed them on speed 7 until they were chopped but not milled.  I like my granola crunchy:)

50g maple syrup
80g macadamia oil (you can use coconut oil if you prefer, i cant tolerate coconut oil, so i used macadamia)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp himalayan salt

2. I added the above ingredients to the TM and used the reverse function (so not to mill the chopped nuts and seeds) and i mixed on speed 3-4 until it was all combined.  It is ready when it resembles a crumbly mix.

3. I then lined two biscuit trays and scattered the mix across the trays.

4. I baked it for about 30 minutes in total (wasnt timing) and i stired it once before baking it again.  Cook it until its well browned but not burnt.  It is normal to have chunky bits in the mix.

5. Once cooled completely, store it in a air tight container and use as needed. 

6. Serve with berries, chia pudding, yoghurt, whatever your heart desires:)

PS: You can also add some dried fruit, shredded coconut, cacao nibs for a different flavor.

I absolutely was blown away with how well this turned out, i will be eating this on a regular basis.




No comments:

Post a Comment